Campgrounds & Parks
Whether you want to walk where the dinosaurs did, follow the wagon trail of the first pioneers, let the wind carry you across a lake, or play a round of golf on one of the area courses, the County of Grande Prairie is a place to unwind, relax and maybe learn something new.
In addition to dinosaur digs, badlands topography, heritage villages, windsurfing, bird watching and geo-caching, the County operates eight parks and campground facilities. Every campground has a golf course within a 20-minute drive.
Five of the County's campgrounds have caretakers who attend to their customers to provide the following services: complimentary firewood; daily site supervision and assistance; individual campsite visitation; and management of activity.
Beginning November 5 our campgrounds invite you to get out and active in the day use areas this winter. Picnic tables, fire pits and firewood is provided for your outing. Day use hours are 8:30am to 4pm, Saturdays and Sundays
View a map [PDF - 783 KB] that shows the location of our parks.
Want to see photos of all the parks? View our parks photo galleries.
The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 is now accepting group camping reservations at all of our campgrounds. For reservations call the campground directly unless directed to the Parks and Recreation department.
- Bear Lake Campground
Located on the north shore of Bear Lake, just 20 minutes northeast of Grande Prairie
- Demmitt Campground
Located near the Alberta/B.C. border
- Hommy Campground
Located on the north bank of the Beaverlodge River, near Beaverlodge
- Kleskun Hill Campground
Located off Hwy #43, 15 minutes east of Grande Prairie
- Pipestone Creek Campground
Located on the Wapiti River, 16 km south of Wembley
- Group Camping Only is available at Bear Hill Park and Old Bezanson Townsite. Three RV units constitutes a group with a fee of $100 per night. Call the Parks and Recreation department to reserve at 780-532-9727.
- Private campgrounds
Overnight camping is also available at various private campgrounds in the area. For information on private campgrounds, contact www.gptourism.ca
- Old Bezanson Townsite
is for general public use or can be reserved for group day-use functions. It's located just 12 km southeast of Bezanson. No overnight camping or parking is allowed
- Red Willow Park
is a day-use park only. It's located on secondary Hwy #722, southwest of Beaverlodge. No overnight camping or parking is allowed
- Saskatoon Mountain Park
is a day-use park only. It's located approximately 32 km west of Grande Prairie on Highway 43. No overnight camping or parking is allowed
- Valhalla Centre Park
Located in Valhalla Centre on Hwy # 59
- Bear Hill Park is for general public use or can be reserved for group day-use functions. It's located 24 km northwest of Clairmont on Highway 59.
Consideration and Conservation
While visiting our parks this season, please remember:
- Be considerate of others.
- Avoid excessive and offensive noise at any time of day: Talking or singing loudly, stereos at high volume and any other noisy behaviour is not permitted.
- Quiet hours are from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. This means all stereos and generators must be turned off, and noise must be kept to a minimum.
- Keep campfires small. This helps us conserve firewood, reduces the risk of forest fires and helps maintain low camping fees.
- Make sure your fire is extinguished before you leave. Soak it with water once, and then again, making sure to stir through the ashes. Do not burn any garbage in the fire pits.
The County of Grande Prairie is proud to partner with Leave No Trace Canada to promote responsible use of natural areas during outdoor activities. If you are interested in learning about how you can reduce your impact on the environment, view our outdoor ethics.
County Golf Courses
There are a number of golf courses located within the County of Grande Prairie. From picturesque 9-hole course to championship 18-hole courses, there is a golf course to challenge every playing level. View a map showing golf course locations [PDF - 1.6 MB] and phone numbers.