County Photo Contest
The 2017 photography contest runs from March 1, 2017 – February 28, 2018. The contest is broken down into four phases representing the different seasons. At the end of each phase, submissions will be judged and winners in each category will be announced which will launch the next phase of the photo contest. At the end of the contest in February 2018, all entries will be judged, and overall winners of each of the categories will be selected and announced at the 2017 Photo Contest Evening held in March 2018. The fan favourites will also be announced at the 2017 Photo Contest Evening.
During each phase of the contest, individuals are invited to submit up to five digital or 4” x 6” photos in each of the following categories below. Please note that all photos must be taken within the County of Grande Prairie, but do not have to be taken in 2017:
- Scenes of the County - photos including but not limited to specific scenes and sites.
- People at work - photos including but not limited to people at work sites, employee picnics.
- Sports, Recreation and Culture in the County - photos including but not limited to people engaged in indoor and outdoor sports, recreation and cultural activities, events and festivals.
- People Engaged in Agriculture - photos including but not limited to individuals and families active in farm work, engaging in agricultural activities such as gardening, farming, harvesting, loading bales, sheep shearing, animal feeding, 4-H events.
- Fan Favourite - At the end of each phase, the top photos (winners and honorable mentions) will be posted on the County of Grande Prairie’s Facebook Page for the public to vote on. The public will have two weeks to "like" their favourite photo(s). The photos that receive the most “likes” will be announced and awarded with prizes at the County’s 13th Annual Photo Contest Evening in March 2018.
Please give your photo(s) a title that represents what you envision in your shot.
Phase 1 – Spring Theme
Contest runs from March 1 to May 30, 2017. Photos in all categories must be taken during the season of spring and submitted by May 30, 2017.
Phase 2 – Summer Theme
Contest runs from June 1 to August 30. Photos in all categories must be taken during the season of summer and submitted by August 30, 2017.
Phase 3 – Fall Theme
Contest runs from September 1 to November 30. Photos in all categories must be taken during the season of fall and submitted by November 30, 2017.
Phase 4 – Winter Theme
Contest runs from November 25 to February 28. Photo in all categories must be taken during the season of winter and submitted by February 28, 2018.
Horizontal images must be at least 3,600 pixels wide, vertical images must be at least 3,600 pixels tall. Photos should be a minimum of 300 dpi and 5-7 MB in size. The photo uploader will not accept anything less than the minimum requirements.
Remember that the photos are printed on 4 x 6 prints - for best cropping ensure that your photos are 3,600 x 2,400 pixels for horizontal shots and 2,400 x 3,600 for vertical shots. If they are not this size, your photos will not be cropped properly. Watson's Source nor the County of Grande Prairie are responsible for proper sizing or cropping of photos
Note: County employees can enter, however they are not eligible for prizes.
For each season the prize allocations are as follows for each category:
- 1st place: $ 100.00 gift card for Watson's Foto Source
- 2nd place: $ 50.00 gift card for photo finishing at Watsons' Foto Source
- 3rd place - $ 25.00 gift card for photo finishing at Watson's Foto Source
Judging and prize awarding will take place at the end of each season.
Photographer of the overall best picture for the whole year from each of the categories win a $250 gift card from Watson's Foto Source and a 12" by 18" metal print of their winning photo. All contestants will also receive a voucher for 25 free prints at Watson's Foto Source.
How to Submit Photos
We have implemented a new photo uploading procedure for the contest. Simply visit the Photo Upload page and upload up to 20 photos (5 for each category) at once. Remember that you will still need to fill out a minor release form if applicable.
Cut off for each phase of the contest will be at 4:30 p.m. on the final day of the contest. Entries of any kind will not be accepted after the cut off time.
You can also submit your 4 x 6 photos by mail to:
County of Grande Prairie
Clairmont, AB T0H 0W0
For more information contact the Economic Development department at 780-532-9722.
Judging of submissions: The County and the contest judges retain discretion to award or not award prizes as they see fit even where the aforementioned criteria are adhered to. The decisions of the County and the contest judges are final and no appeals shall be considered.