Legislative Services is the connection between County Council, administration, and the community. Legislative Services supports Council's governance framework and decision-making processes and acts as the primary contact regarding County Council business.
Legislative Services also supports numerous legislative functions such as appeals, policies, access and privacy, records management, elections, census, and appointments and support to Council committees.
The Legislative Services Department ensures the consistency of governmental, technical, and organizational procedures as followed by County Council and administration, creating a strong foundation from which to provide exceptional municipal services.
Legislative Services provides:
- Bylaws, procedures and policies for CAO and Council approval;
- Coordinated legislative support to Council, the CAO, and all County departments;
- Designated Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy coordinator including and administering all FOIP requests;
- Process Environmental Site Inquiries for companies and rate payers;
- Prepare, review, and provide support for all meetings of County Council including minutes and agendas;
- Provide custody of Council records that include all agendas, minutes and agreements;
- Coordinate delegate presentations for Council meetings;
- Facilitate public access to the legislative process;
- Custody and maintenance of various County leases;
- Process petitions to Council and the municipality;
Elections and Census
- Acts as election returning officer, conducts and reports results for municipal elections and plebiscites;
- Administers the County's Electronic Records Management program, including archiving and destruction of documents in accordance with the MGA and FOIP;
Boards and Committees
- Act as a liaison to the Assessment Review Board and Subdivision and Development Appeal Board hearings;
- Coordinate Boards and Committees appointments;
Commissioner for Oaths
- Commissioner for Oaths receive their authority from the Alberta Justice. They can commission Affidavits and Statutory Declarations in and for Alberta only. This is provided for County business only.