Growth and Economic Development Strategy
The County wants to hear from you about our Growth and Economic Development Strategy! Ensure you have a say in the direction of our economy for the next 50 years by filling in a short survey.
Stay informed by joining the online conversation and by signing up for email notifications. By doing so, you will receive information about all new initiatives, as well as updates on surveys, events, project news and more.
Click here to visit our online engagement forum.
Since 2005, the County of Grande Prairie has seen a 30 per cent rise in population, resulting in an increase of over 5,200 new residents (2011 Federal Census). More recently, the economic landscape of Alberta has also changed, and many Albertan's now view diversifying the economy as essential. In response to these changes, the County is preparing a Growth and Economic Development Strategy (the "Strategy") that will guide growth in the area and ensure the County's economy is sustainable, socially responsible, and diversified.
- What is a Growth and Economic Development Strategy?
- Why is the County of Grande Prairie creating a Growth and Economic Development Strategy?
- Who will provide input into the Growth and Economic Development Strategy?
- How can I get involved with the Growth and Economic Development Strategy?
- What is the timeline for the Growth and Economic Development Strategy?
A Growth and Economic Development Strategy is a plan that can be approved and adopted by Council that provides a roadmap for attracting new investment and ensures long-term and sustainable growth. The Growth and Economic Development Strategy also provides a framework for how land in the County can best be utilized to create additional economic opportunities for area. The primary objectives of the County of Grande Prairie Growth and Economic Development Strategy include:
- Understanding the current status of the County with respect to land usage and infrastructure.
- Understanding the prevailing economic and social considerations.
- Understanding the current drivers and inhibitors of growth within the County and neighbouring communities.
- Identifying actions that will provide greater opportunity for the development of existing communities within the County.
- Gathering input and feedback in conjunction with other County initiatives including the Upper Peace Regional Plan under the Provincial Land Use Framework.
- Developing an implementation plan that includes a list of actions required to lead the County towards greater economic sustainability.
The Alberta economy is experiencing significant and widespread challenges, requiring many municipalities to evaluate and assess their long-term strategic goals. Because of these challenges, the County of Grande Prairie is proactively defining current and future economic opportunities that can supplement its rich agricultural, resource and tourism based economy.
By gaining a comprehensive understanding of the social, economic, and environmental factors at play in the County, the Growth and Economic Development Strategy will establish a 50-year vision that shows how to best accommodate future growth, and how to strengthen economic development in a sustainable, responsible way.
The Growth and Economic Development Strategy will play a role in how everyone in the County lives, works, and plays over the next 50 years. All residents and interested parties will have the opportunity to provide their input into this once-in-a-generation plan.
Throughout the project, there will be several opportunities to provide input into the Growth and Economic Development Strategy. Many different forms of engagement will be conducted so that all interested parties can voice their opinions on the direction in which the County grows. Some of the ways to get involved include:
- Attending an Open House
- Participating in stakeholder surveys
- Watching or attending a symposium
- Participating in an online engagement forum
Please visit our online engagement forum.
The County of Grande Prairie Growth and Economic Development Strategy project will begin in the Fall of 2016. Community engagement and input gathering will begin shortly after the launch, and interested parties will be able to participate and provide feedback throughout the course of the project. New concepts, updates, and other information will be developed throughout the Winter of 2016 and Spring of 2017. County Council will consider adopting the Growth and Economic Development Strategy at the end of 2017.
For more information, contact:
Planning and Development Services
Phone: 780-532-9722 ext. 1280
Mailing address: 10001 – 84 Avenue, Clairmont, AB T0H 0W0