Residential Waste Cart Collection Program
The County of Grande Prairie will be rolling out waste carts to households in the neighbourhoods of Dunes, Maple Ridge Estates, Taylor Estates, Carriage Lane, Wedgewood Estates, Whispering Ridge in Clairmont, Westlake in Clairmont, and homes located in Clairmont who already receive curbside waste and recycling collection services and are charged for waste and recycle services on their monthly utility bill.
These households will be receiving their waste carts with information packages, including detailed instructions, guidelines, and additional information about the program, between May 1 and 15 and will be able to use their carts as soon as they receive it (between May 1 and 15). The blue bag recycling program service will remain unchanged.
Why Residential Waste Carts?
The rolling waste cart is your way to contribute to reducing costs, injuries, waste in landfills, and litter over a lifetime.
The waste cart is:
Convenient and safe – your rolling waste cart is easy to use and eliminates the need to carry around heavy garbage bags.
Clean – waste carts keep animals out and reduces blowing garbage around your community.
Reduces waste – throw less into the waste cart, and more into recycling. Using carts will reduce the amount of waste we send to the landfill and decrease the County’s environmental footprint. The more we waste, the more space and funding will be required to expand or build more landfills. Take advantage of the County’s blue bag recycling program and other recycling options.
Waste collection will be automated, which means that a specially designed truck picks up the carts, empties them, and then returns them to their original positions.
DO YOUR PART AND ROLL OUT YOUR CART
Facts about Your Waste Carts
- Each household will receive one 64-gallon waste cart (fits approximately three to four black garbage bags of waste) at no additional charge to the resident.
- Waste that does not fit in the waste cart can be disposed at the Clairmont Centre for Recycling and Waste Management. Alternatively, you can purchase a bag tag for $3 at the County Administration or Public Works Building in Clairmont.
- The carts are the property of the County of Grande Prairie. They stay with the home where they are delivered to. Each cart has a code, which is associated to the residential address to which it was delivered.
- Carts should not be modified in any way, including adding a lock.
- If you move, empty the cart and leave it at the original residence. Ensure that it is in a secure location, such as a garage or shed.
- To report damaged or stolen carts, contact 780-513-3967.
Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more information.
Waste Cart Placement Guidelines
BAG IT - Place bagged waste inside the waste cart. All waste must fit in your waste cart; however, additional bagged waste may be accepted if it is accompanied by a County bag tag, which can be purchased at the County Administration and Public Works Buildings.
- Carts containing unbagged items may not be collected and increase loose litter
CLOSE IT - Ensure the lid is fully closed to keep trash from being scattered by the wind and wildlife. A cart with an open lid may not be collected.
PLACE IT - Roll your waste cart to your curbside/street by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- When placing your waste cart on your curb, ensure the wheels/handles are facing inward toward your home with the wheels touching the edge of the street or curb.
- Be sure there is one metre of clearance on all sides of the cart and full clearance overhead – this includes between the waste cart, parked cars, fences, blue bag recyclables, and trees beside and above. Failure to do so may result in your cart not being emptied.
Residents in the following subdivisions receive curbside waste and recycle collection on the following days:
- Taylor Estates
- Maple Ridge
- Clairmont north of 108 Avenue
- Carriage Lane
- Clairmont south of 108 Avenue
- Whispering Ridge in Clairmont
- Westlake in Clairmont
Residents who receive curbside waste and recycle collection services are asked to set their items out ahead of time (the night before or prior to 7 a.m. on collection day). Waste and recycle is collected weekly with the exception of Christmas Day, New Years Day and unless notified with notice from Prairie Disposal and the County.
- If your household waste items do not fit in your cart, do an assessment of what you are throwing in your garbage and ask yourself: Can it be reduced or recycled? Many of the items in your garbage you may be able to recycle or compost.
- Purchase a home composting unit from the County or at a local home and garden store, or make your own backyard composting system.
Related Documents and Links
- Waste Cart Instructions and Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Blue Bag Recycling Program Guidelines
- Recycling and Waste Management Brochure
For more information, contact 780-513-3967 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.