Curbside Waste & Recycle Collection

There are some subdivisions in the County that receive curbside waste and recycling collection. Waste and recycle is collected weekly with the exception of Christmas Day, New Years Day and unless notified with notice from Prairie Disposal and the County. The mandatory fee for garbage pickup in these areas is included on monthly utility bills from Aquatera. For information on curbside recycling and waste collection services rates, refer to the Rates & Fees page.

Residents in the following subdivisions receive curbside waste and recycle collection on the following days:

Tuesday collection:

  • Taylor Estates
  • Maple Ridge
  • Wedgewood
  • Clairmont north of 108 Avenue

Wednesday collection:

  • Carriage Lane
  • Clairmont south of 108 Avenue

Friday collection:

  • Whispering Ridge in Clairmont
  • Westlake in Clairmont

Residents who receive curbside waste and recycle collection services are asked to set their items out ahead of time (the night before or prior to 7 a.m. on collection day).

If you are missed by the collection truck, immediately notify the Public Works department by calling 780-532-7393.


Waste & Recycle Collection Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a bag limit?

There is currently no bag limit.

What kind of garbage can and/or bag should I use?

Garbage cans should be 100 L or less in volume. Should have a secure, easily removable lid, fixed non-swiveling handles, and no wheels. Garbage bags should be of tough strength and measure out to 2 by 3 ft.

What can I put in the garbage?

  • regular bagged food waste, packaging, smaller worn-out household items
  • bundled or bagged yard and garden waste (tied branches must be under 4 ft. long),
  • rags/old clothes, broken dishes,
  • broken glass (inside a marked puncture-proof container)
  • floor sweepings, sawdust, etc. Please be sure to bag dusty materials.

Note: All material must be properly bagged, bundled or put in approved cans.
Please keep the weight to less than 20 kg (44 lbs) so there’s no risk of injury to your collector.

Unacceptable items:

  • household hazardous waste (e.g., oven cleaners, paints, motor oil, pesticides, toilet cleaners, batteries, propane tanks, light bulbs, solvents, computer equipment)
  • large items (mattresses, box springs, furniture, televisions, stereos, sofas, etc.)
  • large appliances (fridges, stoves, freezers, dishwashers, hot water tanks, etc.)
  • building/renovation material (e.g., wood with nails sticking out, drywall, carpeting, lumber, etc.)
  • tree stumps/roots, manure, dirt or sod
  • tires, large metal auto parts

Several of these items are accepted at the County's various waste and recycling management facilities. View the facilities and what they accept at recycling & waste management brochure [PDF - 433 KB].

Where should I put my garbage cans or bags on collection day?

If you have front street collection:

  • place your garbage at the curb
  • remember to park your vehicle in your driveway 
  • if there’s road construction, put your waste where it is accessible

If your collection is in your rear lane:

  • place garbage within 3 m (10 ft.) of the rear lane
  • ensure the waste cans are easily accessible
  • if there is construction in the lane, place your waste at the front curb

How can I help the waste and recycle collector work safely?

Every working day your refuse collector picks up between 7,000 to 11,000 kg of waste, the weight of 10 sub compact cars. Please help to make the job safer and a little easier.

Keep it Light
Each filled garbage “bag” or “can” should be lighter than 20 kg (44 lbs). You should be able to carry each bag or can with one hand.

Each bundle of brush or tree trimmings should also be below this limit, securely tied, and no longer than 1.2 m (4 ft.).

Package Sharp Objects
Please ensure all broken glass, nails, sheet metal scraps, and other sharps are safely packaged in puncture proof containers and marked as such. Please read Needles, Syringes and Other Medical Sharps for more information.

Don’t Overfill
You should be able to put your lids securely back on when you have filled your garbage cans. The wind can blow the lids away if you don’t.

Bag the Loose Stuff
To prevent littering, make sure all loose materials like grass cuttings, light plastics, and bits of paper are put into bags or boxes. Please be extra careful and double bag vacuum cleaner dust, sawdust, pet feces, and kitty litter.

Let it Flow
The contents of the can should come out easily. Please don’t stuff cans with loose grass, leaves, brush or boxes

Keep it Clean
Please keep your waste collection site clean and tidy year-round. In the winter, clear away snow and ice; sand if necessary. In the summer, trim back any trees or bushes around your garbage stand and check periodically for hornet or wasp nests.

What should I do with needles and syringes?

Contact your pharmacy for information on local needle take back programs. Not all pharmacies offer this service.
Hypodermic needles, syringes, lancets and any other sharp items used in home medical care are not accepted in household waste.

If you need more information on safe needle disposal, please contact Prairie Disposal Ltd. at 780-539-5950 or a local pharmacy.

What do I do if I am interested in receiving curbside waste and/or recycle collection but I live in a rural subdivision that doesn't receive it?

Residents who own property in County Rural Estate subdivisions interested in curbside waste and/or recycle collection services are encouraged to work together with residents within their subdivisions as a group to gain acceptance for this program. Such a program requires a curbside collection fee and acceptance by the residents collected via survey before council will approve the service. If there is strong interest within the community, you are encouraged to send a letter to our Public Works office. The request is then reviewed by council who provide the final decision for the program.

Where can I take items to be disposed of or recycled if I don't receive curbside collection?

County residents can dispose of household waste free-of-charge at the Clairmont Centre for Recycling and Waste Management, the West Grande Prairie Regional Landfill, or at transfer stations in Demmitt, Teepee Creek, or Elmworth. There are also several recycling bins located throughout the County. 

For additional recycle and waste collection disposal instructions: