Animal Control

Temporary arrangements made to care for and house displaced animals

The City and County of Grande Prairie have adopted a three-pronged animal care plan until further notice in lieu of the recent, unexpected closure of the Grande Prairie & District SPCA (GPSPCA).

Effective June 27, 2016, the pound will be temporarily renamed the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Care Facility. Existing staff will deliver three separate services out of the existing building and garage – Pound Services, Adoption Services and Animal Shelter Services. Click on the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Care Facility page to learn more about the facility and it's services.

Have a lost pet?

If you have questions about a lost pet, surrendering animals or want to find out if your pet is in the pound, contact the Regional Animal Pound at:

Phone: 780-830-0199
Fax: 780-532-4745
In Person: Brochu Industrial Park, 12220 - 104 Avenue, Grande Prairie

Licenses and Tags

Dogs are our best friends and companions. If they go missing, we want to know they will be found quickly and safely. Licences and tags help identify pets so they can be returned to their owners.

Licences and tags are required for all dogs over the age of six months that reside in the County. Dog licences are free and available online or at the County office. Once the licence is processed, a tag is mailed to your residence.

Dog Complaints

Report dog-related issues or complaints to the Bylaw Unit at 780-532-9727. The Animal Control Unit deals only with dogs. It does not handle complaints about cats, farm animals, or wildlife.

Click here to report a dog-related complaint online.

Need to Report a Stray or Lost Dog?

The County of Grande Prairie provides animal control services to all areas of the County, including Wembley, Sexsmith, Hythe, MD of Greenview and Saddle Hills County.

If you wish to report a stray or lost dog in the County, please contact the Bylaw Unit at 780-532-9727 or complete our online form by clicking report a dog-related complaint online.

Pound Services Hours of Operation

  • Monday to Saturday 10:00 a.m. to noon & 1 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Closed over the lunch hour
  • Sunday noon to 4:00 p.m.
  • Closed on all statutory holidays
  • For Adoption Services Hours of Operation, visit the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Care Facility page.

Dog Attack or Vicious Dog

For an emergency that involves a dog, such as a dog attack or vicious dog at-large, contact the Grande Prairie RCMP at 780-830-5701 or the Beaverlodge RCMP at 780-354-2485.

Wildlife Concerns

For wildlife concerns, contact Alberta Fish and Wildlife at 780-538-5265. To report a poacher or illegal wildlife activity, call 1-800-642-3800.

Animal Abuse Complaints

For concerns of suspected animal abuse, contact the Alberta SPCA at 1-800-455-9003.

The following County resources apply to dogs: