GPRACF Frequently Asked Questions
- With the closure of the Grande Prairie and District SPCA, what changes are occurring to ensure continued animal care in the Grande Prairie area?
- Who is delivering the new animal care plan and where is the Facility?
- What services are being delivered as part of the animal care plan?
- What is the contact information for the Animal Care Facility?
- Will there be any changes to Animal Pound Services in Grande Prairie?
- What happens to animals in the Regional Animal Pound?
- What are the fees for surrendering and reclaiming my pet?
- Are all surrendered animals subject to these fees?
- How soon after surrendering my animal will it be placed for adoption?
- What are the operating hours for Animal Shelter and Pound Services?
- Who do I contact if my pet is in the pound and I want to reclaim him / her, or if I have questions about surrendering my animal?
- Where can I get more information about the Facility?
- How do I know the animal I am interested in adopting is healthy?
- Will the pet that I adopt be spayed or neutered?
- Why are the animals not spayed or neutered prior to adoption?
- Does the Regional Animal Care Facility euthanize animals that are not adopted?
- How can I see the animals currently up for adoption?
- How much does it cost to adopt an animal?
- What hours are adoption services available?
- Where are animal adoptions currently taking place?
With the closure of the Grande Prairie and District SPCA, what changes are occurring to ensure continued animal care in the Grande Prairie area?
The County and City of Grande Prairie will continue to deliver an animal care plan for the area until a permanent solution is determined. Details on a permanent arrangement will be shared when more information becomes available.
The services delivered as part of this initiative are being operated out of the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Care Facility. The steps taken guarantee the continuation of safe, humane animal shelter, care, and adoptions throughout the region.
The animal care plan is being delivered by staff from the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Pound from the existing building and garage at 12220-104 Avenue in the Brochu Industrial Park.
Three separate services are being delivered at the new Facility – Pound Services, Adoption Services and Animal Shelter Services.
In Person: 12220 – 104 Avenue (Brochu Industrial Park)
There will be no changes to current Animal Pound Services. The Grande Prairie Regional Animal Pound will continue to provide temporary holding of animals that belong to other people that are found as lost or strays, picked up by animal control, or are subject to an investigation because of a bite or a necessary quarantine. The main goal of the regional pound is to return animals to their owners.
Animals in the pound remain for five days in most cases, but stays can be up to 10 days if the animal is subject to an investigation or bite hold. Animals that are in the Pound and not reclaimed after the legislated timeline of 5-10 days become the property of the municipality and are transferred to Adoption Services.
The surrender fee is $150.
Charges for animal reclaims are based upon first, second and third visits to the pound. The first visit is a $50 reclaim, the second is $150 and the third and thereafter is $150. There is also a daily kennel fee of $25.
City animals reclaimed may also be subject to the payment of a fine that is attached to municipal tags. For more information on municipal tags and fines associated to animal control please contact City Enforcement at 780-830-5790.
In certain cases, surrender fees are not charged for animals taken in by Shelter Services. These situations include while owners are in hospital, arrested on warrant, or for women at the Odyssey House.
Pending the vet check, deworming, microchipping and vaccination, surrendered animals are placed for adoption immediately after arriving at the Animal Care Facility.
The Animal Shelter and Pound are open Monday to Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., closed between noon and 1:00 p.m., and on Sunday from noon to 4:00 p.m. We are closed on all statutory holidays.
Who do I contact if my pet is in the pound and I want to reclaim him / her, or if I have questions about surrendering my animal?
Contact the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Care Facility at 780-830-0199, by email at email@example.com, or in person at 12220-104 Avenue (in the Brochu Industrial Park).
Further information is available at www.countygp.ab.ca/animalcare.
All animals up for adoption are given a health assessment, dewormed, micro-chipped and given a first set of vaccinations.
No. However, all animals up for adoption come with a 50 per cent off voucher for spaying or neutering services.
We believe the voucher system, where all adopted animals come with a 50 per cent off coupon for spaying or neutering services, helps control the animal population while at the same time ensuring owners are supported in whichever choice they make for their pet. The voucher system also ensures that adoption costs remain low, and it enables the continuation of safe, humane animal shelter, care, and adoptions throughout the region because it helps the Regional Animal Care Facility remain financially stable.
Additionally, over the past 13 months the facility has been in operation, we have been working closely with organizations including Petland, Bear Creek Animal Clinic and Grande Prairie Regional College, as well as the Edmonton Humane Society who spay and neuter each animal they take in.
No. Any animal that is not adopted after a short period will be transferred to outside agencies. No healthy animal will be at risk of euthanasia as a result of this transfer process.
The animals up for adoption will be featured on the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Care Facebook page at www.facebook.com/gpracf. Prospective animal adopters are also welcome to visit the Facility at 12220-104 Avenue in the Brochu Industrial Park.
At the Grande Prairie Regional Care Facility, prices for adoption have been reduced. This better aligns prices with those throughout the rest of Alberta. The new rates are as follows:
New Adoption Rates
Animal adoptions take place on Tuesday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. We are closed between noon and 1:00 p.m. and on all statutory holidays.
Animal adoptions are currently being conducted at the Grande Prairie Pound at 12220-104 Avenue in the Brochu Industrial Park.