Campgrounds & Parks
Whether you want to walk where the dinosaurs did, follow the wagon trail of the first pioneers, let the wind carry you across a lake, or play a round of golf on one of the area courses, the County of Grande Prairie is a place to unwind, relax and maybe learn something new.
In addition to dinosaur digs, badlands topography, heritage villages, windsurfing, bird watching and geocaching, the County operates eight parks and campground facilities. Every campground has a golf course within a 20-minute drive.
Four of the County's campgrounds have resident Park Hosts who attend to their customers to provide the following services: complimentary firewood; daily site supervision and assistance; campsite visitation; and management of activity.
View a map that shows the location of our parks.
- Bear Lake Campground
Located on the north shore of Bear Lake, just 20 minutes northeast of Grande Prairie.
- Demmitt Campground
Located near the Alberta/B.C. border.
- Hommy Campground
Located on the north bank of the Beaverlodge River, near Beaverlodge.
- Kleskun Hill Campground
Located off Hwy #43, 15 minutes east of Grande Prairie.
- Pipestone Creek Campground
Located on the Wapiti River, 16 km south of Wembley.
- Private Campgrounds
Overnight camping is also available at various private campgrounds in the area. For information on private campgrounds, contact Grande Prairie Regional Tourism.
County Day-use Parks
- Old Bezanson Townsite
Is for general public use, can be reserved for group day-use functions and overnight camping for groups with three or more RV units. It's located just 12 km southeast of Bezanson. No individual overnight camping or parking is permitted.
- Red Willow Park
Is a day-use park only. It's located on secondary Hwy #722, southwest of Beaverlodge. No overnight camping or parking is permitted.
- Valhalla Centre Park
Located in Valhalla Centre on Hwy # 59.
For County campgrounds that accept telephone reservations (Hommy, Bear Lake and Kleskun), the following Cancellation terms apply:
- Camping fee refunds are determined by the notice provided:
- If three days (72 hours) or more before 2:00 pm on the scheduled day of arrival, all camping fees are refunded.
- If two days (48 hours) or more before 2:00 pm on the scheduled day of arrival, one night’s camping fee is forfeited.
- If less than 48 hours but more than 24 hours’ notice before 2:00 pm on the scheduled day of arrival, two nights’ camping fees are forfeited.
- If less than 24 hours’ notice, no refund available.
- There is no additional cancellation fee or penalty
- Camping fee refunds must be applied to the card used for the original transaction, and will be processed by the Park Host within 5 business days
- Refunds are not provided outside of the above notification criteria for advisories including weather, ground/site conditions, water quality, air quality, wild animals, insects/pests, fire bans, liquor bans, car trouble, getting lost or evictions
At Pipestone Creek Campground a similar cancellation policy is in effect - see here for full details
- Campgrounds & Parks Regulations & Etiquette
- Golf Courses in the County
- Grande Prairie Regional Tourism Association