Campgrounds & Parks
County Campgrounds Open June 1
As of Monday, September 28, 2020, waterlines in campgrounds will be winterized. Please plan to bring your own water. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Campgrounds in the County of Grande Prairie will open for overnight camping on June 1. This announcement is in line with Government of Alberta directions on re-opening economic and social activity laid out on Thursday, April 30.
The Bear Hill, Demmitt, Hommy, Pipestone Creek, Bear Lake and Kleskun Hill Day use areas are available for public use between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. This includes the use of Bear Lake for small hand launched watercraft such as kayaks and kiteboards, except for motorboats due to high water levels and potential hidden hazards. Outhouses will be available to the public, but playgrounds remain closed.
Beginning May 14, online reservations will be accepted for overnight stays at the Pipestone Creek Campground as well as phone-in reservations for individual campsites at Bear Lake, Hommy and Kleskun campgrounds. Specific information regarding camping restrictions will be available before reservations open. The status of group camping sites such as Old Bezanson Townsite and Bear Hill is still to be determined.
Restrictions will be in place at all County campgrounds and parks in sync with recommendations set out by the Province and will be updated as information becomes available.
The current restrictions include:
- A maximum of 100 people per gathering practicing 2m physical distancing
- Practicing 2m (6ft) physical distancing
- Practicing enhanced personal hygiene when using outhouses
- Do not use the campgrounds and parks if you are experiencing flu-like symptoms
- Do not use the campgrounds and parks if you have travelled outside of the country within 14 days
For more information, contact Parks and Recreation at 780-532-9727.
View a map that shows the location of our parks.
- Bear Lake Campground
Located on the north shore of Bear Lake, just 20 minutes northeast of Grande Prairie.
- Demmitt Campground
Located near the Alberta/B.C. border.
- Hommy Campground
Located on the north bank of the Beaverlodge River, near Beaverlodge.
- Kleskun Hill Campground
Located off Hwy #43, 15 minutes east of Grande Prairie.
- Pipestone Creek Campground
Located on the Wapiti River, 16 km south of Wembley.
- Private Campgrounds
Overnight camping is also available at various private campgrounds in the area. For information on private campgrounds, contact Grande Prairie Regional Tourism.
County Day-use Parks
- Old Bezanson Townsite
Is for general public use, can be reserved for group day-use functions and overnight camping for groups with three or more RV units. It's located just 12 km southeast of Bezanson. No individual overnight camping or parking is permitted.
- Red Willow Park
Is a day-use park only. It's located on secondary Hwy #722, southwest of Beaverlodge. No overnight camping or parking is permitted.
- Valhalla Centre Park
Located in Valhalla Centre on Hwy # 59.
For County campgrounds that accept individual or group site telephone reservations (Hommy, Bear Lake, Kleskun, Old Bezanson Townsite and Bear Hill), the following Cancellation terms apply:
- Camping fee refunds are determined by the notice provided:
- If three days (72 hours) or more before 2:00 pm on the scheduled day of arrival, all camping fees are refunded.
- If two days (48 hours) or more before 2:00 pm on the scheduled day of arrival, one night’s camping fee is forfeited.
- If less than 48 hours but more than 24 hours’ notice before 2:00 pm on the scheduled day of arrival, two nights’ camping fees are forfeited.
- If less than 24 hours’ notice, no refund available.
- There is no additional cancellation fee or penalty
- Camping fee refunds must be applied to the card used for the original transaction and will be processed by the Park Host within five business days
- Refunds are not provided outside of the above notification criteria for advisories including inclement weather, ground/site conditions, water quality, air quality, wild animals, insects/pests, fire bans, liquor bans, car trouble, getting lost or evictions
At Pipestone Creek Campground a similar cancellation policy is in effect - see here for full details
- Campgrounds & Parks Regulations & Etiquette
- Golf Courses in the County
- Grande Prairie Regional Tourism Association