Railway Questions & Concerns
For questions or non-emergency concerns, such as:
- Condition of property and crossings (e.g. grade crossings, rail ties, etc.)
- Environment (e.g. vegetation, grass cutting, trees, etc.)
- Permits and/or flag persons
- Noise (e.g. whistling)
- General operations (e.g. train speeds, hours of operation, etc.)
Contact the CN’s Public Inquiry Line (PIL) either by phone at 1-888-888-5909 or by email at email@example.com.
For rail related emergency or safety related issues, such as:
- trespassing on tracks
- unlawful activity
- crossing signal defect, etc.
Contact CN Police either by email at CNPoliceTipLine@cn.ca (non-urgent suspicious activities) or by phone at 1-800-465-9239 for emergencies.
See attached Public inquires for CN. [PDF - 857 KB] for further details.
Operation Lifesaver is a government, industry and community partner organization committed to improving rail safety in Canada.
Collisions at railway crossings and trespassing incidents that can lead to serious injuries or even death. Operation Lifesaver aims to prevent such incidents through public education and has information and resources available for the community.
Information for the public
- General rail safety tip sheet
- Railway warning signs and devices
- Railway trespass and crossing incident statistics - updated monthly
- Trespassing Virtual Reality video