Building a House

Step 1: Determine the type of construction and if it is a use listed in your zoning district.

Are you building a stick built, modular, manufactured home, or relocating an existing house? Many residential zones list manufactured and modular homes as discretionary uses, so you will have to verify your parcels zoning in the Land Use Bylaw or with the Planning Department.

Step 2: Get a plot plan

You will need to contact a surveyor to have them create a professional plot plan. This is not a survey of the parcel, but a drawing illustrating the proposed location of the new house, and the distances to the property lines and other proposed or existing structures (including septic systems, water wells, and decks) on the parcel. Other details to include or that may be requested on this plan include easements, right of ways, approaches, no build zones, lot grading, and drainage direction.

To get the plot plan you will need your legal description, house plans, and the proposed location of the house.

Step 3: Apply for a Development Permit

A Development Permit Application [PDF - 945 KB] and Form A - Residential Development [PDF - 70 KB] need to be completed and submitted to the Planning Department, with the plot plan, exterior elevations of the house, and the application fee. Upon review of an application, further information may be requested prior to the application being processed.

Step 4: Apply for a Building Permit

Once the Development Permit has been approved, an application for Building Permit can be processed. You will need to complete the following:

This form along with two copies of the blueprints, a copy of the plot plan, and the application fee need to be submitted to the Department.

If you are installing a wood burning stove/fireplace, you will also have to complete a Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Form [PDF - 123 KB] and attach it to your Building Permit Application. Contact Rob Renschler at 780-814-2129 if you intend on installing in-floor (Hydronic Heating) in your home.

As of February 1, 2014, the province's New Home Buyer Protection Act came into effect; almost all residential builders are required to show proof of home warranty coverage before the County of Grande Prairie can issue a new construction permit. For more information about the warranty program visit

On November 1, 2016, Alberta adopted the National Energy Code for Buildings 2011 Edition (NECB). Similar to the New Home Warranty Program, all new buildings will need to demonstrate compliance with the NECB prior to building permit approval. For more information visit Alberta Municipal Affairs webpage.

Please note, additional information may be requested upon review of the application and all information must be received by the Planning Department prior to the application being processed.

Step 5: Apply for Plumbing, Gas, Electrical, and Private Sewage Permits

These sub-trade permit applications can be made at the same time, or following the issuance of the Building Permit they do need to be made prior to starting any of the associated work.