Erect a Temporary Event Tent

Do I need a permit for a temporary event tent?

Yes, a building permit is required when:

  • The tent or group of tents covers more than 60 square metres (645 square feet).
  • The tent is located less than 3 metres from any other structure, and/or
  • The tent is used commercially or contains commercial cooking equipment.

If any of these factors apply to your project a building permit [PDF - 188 KB] will be required to ensure construction meets the Alberta Building Code. 

Once your tent is erected you will need to get it inspected:

The Planning Department requests two days notice for scheduling of inspections. Same day service may be available depending on the Safety Codes Officer' schedule.

To book an inspection contact Planning & Development Services at 780-513-3950 or the Safety Codes Officers directly:

  • Rob Renschler at 780-814-2129 for Commercial Building, Residential Building