Wood Stoves & Fireplaces

Do I need a permit?

Yes, wood stoves and other solid fuel burning appliances require a Building Permit. You need to complete either the Residential Building Permit Application [Fillable PDF - 188 KB] or the Non-Residential Building Permit Application [PDF - 167 KB] depending on the use of the building in which the appliance is being installed. A Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Information Supplement [PDF - 123 KB] form also needs to be completed, and a copy of the installation instructions need to be submitted.

Gas fireplaces require a Gas Permit [PDF - 167 KB].