Certificate of Compliance

What is a Certificate of Compliance?

A certificate of Compliance is an endorsement by the County of Grande Prairie confirming that development on a property meets the requirements of the County’s Land Use Bylaw #2680. The County will not inspect the property; endorsement applies only to those improvements shown on a Real Property Report.

Download a Request for Certificate of Compliance [PDF - 265 KB]

What is a Real Property Report?

A Real Property Report is a legal document prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor that clearly illustrates the location of Development (Dwelling, Accessory Buildings, Decks, Sheds, Fences and other structures) on a property relative to the property boundaries.

The County of Grande Prairie cannot provide you with a Real Property Report. If you do not have a copy of a Real Property Report, one can be obtained through a registered Alberta Land Surveyor.

In the case where a Real Property Report is older the six (6) months a Statutory Declaration will be required.

The Alberta Land Surveyors Association (ALSA) has prepared a brochure to help you understand Real Property Reports. For further information, please visit the Alberta Land Surveyors Association (ALSA) website at:

Alberta Land Surveyors Association (ALSA) website  

What is a Statutory Declaration?

A Statutory Declaration is a legal document that declares all the information on the Real Property Report to be true. A Statutory Declaration affirms no alterations or improvements have been made to the principle buildings showing on Real Property Report. A Statutory Declaration is required when a Real Property Report is older the 6 months old.

How do I Apply for Compliance?

Once you have obtained a copy of your Real Property Report showing all Development to date on the property in question application can be submitted in person to: Planning and Development Services or mailed to:

Planning & Development Services
County of Grande Prairie
10001 - 84 Ave Clairmont, AB T8X 5B2

All requests for a certificate of compliance submitted to the County of Grande Prairie must be accompanied by:

a)   an original RPR signed by a surveyor who is licensed to practice in the Province of Alberta or a legible and unaltered copy of an original Real Property Report with:

  1. The RPR being no older than ten (10) years; and
  2. Where the date of the RPR is greater than six (6) months prior to the date of applying for a certificate of compliance, it is accompanied with a statutory declaration indicating that no changes, alterations or additions to the principal building have been made since the real property report was prepared;

b)   An application fee as described in the fee schedule adopted by Council and amended from time to time; and

c)  An application form filled out and signed by the applicant or RPR request letter signed by applicant.

Application will be reviewed in order they are received within 14 days of the date submitted to the County unless indicated as rush compliance.


Real Property Report                          Regular                 $50

Compliance Certificate                       Rush                      $100

If compliance is not given a fee of $25 will be charged for review of the Real Property Report.

Processing your Application

If all developments shown on your Real Property Report meet the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw #2680, the County with endorse compliance with a stamp on the original Real Property Report submitted for review.

If the property is not in compliance with the Land Use Bylaw, the applicant will be notified. If the development was in compliance with the Land Use Bylaw in effect at the time of the original development, it may be deemed as legal non-conforming as outlined under Section 643 of the Municipal Government Act and shall be allowed to remain, subject to the conditions outlined in the Act.

If a property does not comply with requirements of the Land Use Bylaw #2680 a Development Officer will contact the applicant by letter and indicate requirements to bringing the property in to compliance. The owner of the property is responsible for bringing the property into compliance before a Certificate of Compliance can be endorsed. This may require accessory buildings or fences be removed or relocated to meet required setbacks. Any structures located on County Property such as Municipal Reserve, Drainage Easements or Utility Right of ways must be removed.

Application will be reviewed in order they are received within 14 days of the date submitted to the County unless indicated as rush compliance. Rush compliance can be requested when the applicant requires a Certificate of Compliance to be issued sooner than the standard 14 days.

It is recommended to prepare and submit your Real Property Report for review in advance of the sale of the property to ensure Compliance is issued in time to finalize the sale.