Where can I consume cannabis in the County?
The County is working to develop a Community Standards Bylaw, which will address cannabis use and other topics. For the time being residents and visitors must follow the guidelines set out by the Province in the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act along with the cannabis framework.
The need to know:
- Albertans are allowed to consume cannabis in their homes and in some public spaces where smoking tobacco is allowed, but not allowed to consume cannabis in vehicles.
- Consumption of cannabis is not permitted inside any cannabis retail outlets
- Public smoking or vaping of cannabis in Alberta will be prohibited from any place where tobacco is restricted, and in the following places:
- on any hospital property, school property or child care facility property
- in or within a prescribed distance from:
- a playground
- a sports or playing field
- a skateboard or bicycle park
- a zoo
- an outdoor theatre
- an outdoor pool or splash pad
- any motor vehicles, with the exception of those being used as a temporary residence, such as a parked RV.
Provincial legislation will establish offences for public consumption infractions and consumption of cannabis in vehicles.
For more information about the Tobacco and Smoking Reduction Act and Alberta Cannabis Framework and legislation, visit www.alberta.ca/cannabis-framework.aspx.