Rezoning & Subdividing

What is rezoning, and why would I want to do it?

The County's Land Use Bylaw categorizes each parcel of land into a zoning district; these zoning designations direct the types of development and the uses for the parcels of land. Rezoning is the process of changing what category of zoning your parcel is designated as.

There are two situations in which you may want to rezone:

  • You wish to develop or use your land in a way that is not allowable under your current zone;
  • You wish to subdivide your land into parcels used for a different purpose.

Therefore, a rezoning application may accompany a subdivision or a Development Permit application.

What is subdividing, and why would I want to do it?

Subdividing is the process of legally dividing a single parcel of land into two (2) or more smaller parcels; subdividing results in each of these smaller parcels having their own title. You may wish to subdivide your parcel for a number of reasons, including:

  • You are looking at retiring from farming and would like to sell off your farmland, but keep your home. If this is the first time the quarter section has been subdivided, this is called a farmstead separation.
  • You may wish to subdivide one or more parcels to allow for different ownership of the land rather than joint ownership.
  • You may want to subdivide to allow for the sale of some or all of the land for a number of financial reasons.

There is a second type of subdividing that does not increase the number of parcels, but shifts the boundaries between two (2) or more properties. This type of subdividing is known as a boundary adjustment and undergoes the same process as subdividing to create multiple parcels.