Subdivision Process

What do I need to subdivide?

  • A completed Subdivision Application form, which includes:
    • The names and signatures of the applicant and/or his/her agent (authorized in writing);
    • the description of the use(s) proposed for the land; and
    • information on the uses and characteristics of the land within 0.8km (0.5 miles) from the land proposed for subdivision.
  • A current certificate of title for the land to be subdivided, including the names and addresses of all encumbrances.
  • The application fee as approved in the County's approved Fee Schedule.
  • Effective March 1, 2013 - Model Process - a site evaluation and suitability study, conducted by a certified installer is required to determine the viability of the use of private sewage systems to serve the proposed subdivision.
  • Three (3) 8 1/2" x 11", one (1) 24" x 36" copy and a digital AutoCAD format of a properly scaled map of the tentative or draft plan of subdivision. Please see the "Rezoning and Subdivision Information Guide" for the details that need to be included on this map.
  • One (1) 8 1/2" x 11" air photo of the subject land at a scale of no less than 1:5000.
  • A map showing the 1 in 100 year flood plan if the land is located in a potential floodplain and the floodplain mapping is available.
  • A completed Municipal Reserve form, if required.
  • Additional information may be required by the Development Authority or referral agencies upon review of the application.

For multi-lot subdivision of six lots or more or for subdivision that create the sixth lot or more on any one quarter section additional more detailed information is required. Please see the "Rezoning and Subdivision Information Guide" for a list of these requirements.

Do I have to rezone prior to subdividing?

In most cases, yes. The applications for rezoning and subdivision can be dealt with concurrently; however, prior to receiving subdivision approval, County Council must approve the rezoning application. In the event that the rezoning application does not get approved, the subdivision application will not move forward for approval. If the rezoning application is approved, the subdivision will move forward for approval, however these approvals will not occur on the same day.

Rezoning is not required for farmstead separations in which an existing or abandoned farmstead is the first parcel to be subdivided off of the quarter section. Rezoning is also not required if it has occurred as part of a previous application and the land proposed to be subdivided is currently zoned for the proposed use of the land following subdivision approval.

If you have any questions, please contact the Planning Department.

Who makes the decision to approve or deny a subdivision application?

The County's subdivision approval authority is the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC). Their membership is made up of County Council.

The decision is made based on information presented to the Commission following the circulation of the proposed application to various referral agencies, adjacent landowners, and encumbrances on title. At the hearing, a Planner provides a summary of the application with a recommendation to the MPC, the applicant and/or his/her agent is then allowed to make a presentation, any other person wishing to make a presentation will then be allowed to do so. Written comments/concerns received by the Planning Department are included in the Planner's summary.

Unlike an amendment to a bylaw, a subdivision is not required to receive three (3) readings for approval or refusal. The MPC instead makes a motion to approve or refuse the application and votes on the motion.

When does the decision take effect, and can it be appealed?

If the subdivision is approved, the conditions of approval must be met and the subdivision endorsed by the County before being registered with Alberta Land Titles.

The decision can be appealed within nineteen (19) days of the decision letter date by the applicant if the application is refused or if the applicant does not agree to all of the conditions of the approval.

What is subdivision endorsement?

To finalize an approved subdivision, an endorsement package containing a surveyed plan of the approved subdivision and the "Subdivision Authority Approval" form must be received by the Planning Department. Once these documents have been received, all the condition of approval have been met, and the associated endorsement fees have been paid, the County will sign the "Subdivision Authority Approval" form indicating that we authorize the registration of the subdivision plan with Alberta Land Titles - this is endorsement. It is then up to the applicant's surveyor to register the plan with Alberta Land Tiles.

Please Note: An applicant has one (1) year to meet all conditions and get the subdivision endorsed. An application for time extension can be made if the conditions cannot or are not met in this timeframe.