Heavy Equipment Operator II - Recycling
Competition Number: HR-2019-0005
Job Title: Heavy Equipment Operator II - Recycling
Department: Technical Services department
Employment Type: Permanent - Full Time
Salary: Non-Certified Operator: $27.91 - $33.29 per hour; Certified Operator: $29.03 - $34.65 per hour
Posted Date: January 10, 2019 12:00 AM
Closing Date: February 11, 2019 8:30 AM
Last Updated Date: January 11, 2019 1:10 PM
The Public Works department is responsible for providing municipal services, which include, but is not limited to, construction, maintenance, and repair of bridges, streets/roads, storm drains/culverts, and Public Works facilities. The Department is also responsible for fleet services, waste management, and utilities.
The Recycling Operator conducts day to day tasks at the Clairmont Center for Recycling such as: ensuring site safety and assisting customers in transfer/recycling station area and landfill; operating machinery, operating the scale, maintaining records of recycling operations, contacting contractors to collect recycling products as well as providing support to landfill staff. Your previous experience working in a landfill, transfer station or solid waste system would be an asset.
You will also possess the following education, experience, knowledge and skills:
- Grade 12 or General Education Development Diploma required
- Business or Administration Certificate would be an asset
- Previous experience working in a landfill, transfer station or solid waste system would be an asset
- Certified Operator will additionally require:
- one year landfill experience or diploma (2 year program) in a related field such as Environmental Studies
- Successful completion of Landfill Certification exam
- Continuous education by obtaining CEUs in Landfill Operations (SWANA) to maintain certification
- Completion of specialized training as required by Alberta Environment for the site
- Ability to achieve Landfill Certification and/or Transfer Station Certification an asset
- Ability to work weekend work and overtime
- Excellent customer service skills - interact with waste haulers, members of the public and co-workers and willingness to take direction and work with others to accomplish required job tasks
- Ability to operate heavy equipment
- Ability to undertake labor such as heaving lifting, sweeping, and shoveling
- Ability to use a computer
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of proper techniques, safety precautions, and methods used in operation of heavy equipment would be an asset
- Knowledge of health and safety requirements for solid waste facility
- Ability to ensure all work related information is kept confidential as per policy and in accordance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Criminal record check is required
To apply, please click on the green "APPLY" button below.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.