Part time Firefighters
Competition Number: HR-2019-0061
Job Title: Part time Firefighters
Department: Regional Fire Services
Employment Type: Part time, 12 hour shifts, Minimum 4 shifts or 48-120 hours/month
Salary: $19.00 to $32.87 per hour plus 6% vacation pay and a $1.25 shift differential for every hour worked on a 12 hour night shift.
Posted Date: August 06, 2019 8:30 AM
Closing Date: August 21, 2019 8:30 AM
Last Updated Date: August 6, 2019 9:19 AM
SPARK your career. IGNITE your future. Take the next step in your firefighting career and join the County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service!
The County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service is committed to recruiting talented and motivated individuals who possess a high level of integrity and have a desire to serve our community. We are looking for part time firefighters to become integral members of our team, who will play a key role in the delivery of fire services to the County of Grande Prairie No.1.
Not only do our part time firefighters work alongside our career firefighters on shift, part time firefighters may also respond independently to simultaneous calls for service. In our diverse service, part time firefighters respond to fires, rescues, medical aid, hazardous materials, and a host of other calls to aid the public. The County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire service responds to over 1200 events annually. Apart from daily shifts and emergency operations, our part time firefighters also contribute countless hours of volunteer time in support of community activities.
What We Offer:
- Your start to a rewarding career as a professional firefighter, working part-time with a great team.
- Additional benefits such as WCB coverage and life insurance coverage.
- Continued education, training and hands on experience.
What We Expect:
- Positive, team-oriented attitude
- Aptitude for physically demanding but rewarding work
- A minimum commitment of 48 hours (4x12 hour shifts) per month
- For new part-time recruits, (7 x 12 hour) days mandatory recruit training
Our part time firefighters are trained to internationally recognized standards. The requirement to operate independently means that our part time firefighters are well trained to perform their duties.
Minimum requirements to apply as a Part Time Firefighter are:
- All recruits must be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current, Class 3 Alberta Driver's License with airbrake endorsement
- History of a safe driving record
- Possess a Grade 12 education
- Pass RCMP Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check
- ICS 100
- NFPA 1001 Level 2 certification (IFSAC and/or ProBoard)
- NFPA 472 Awareness and Operation certification (IFSAC and/or ProBoard)
- Recognized Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), Medical First Responder or higher with valid Level C CPR
- Incident Command System 100 Certificate
- Pass a medical assessment with a County Regional Fire Service approved physician and undergo a psychological assessment with a County Regional Fire Service approved psychologist
During training, the pay is $19.00 per hour. Once passing the recruit period and becoming part of the union, compensation for part time firefighters is $32.87 per hour plus 6% vacation pay and a $1.25 shift differential for every hour worked on a 12 hour night shift. Part time firefighters are also eligible for a pro-rated health and wellness benefit in accordance with our collective agreement.
Part time firefighters come from all walks of life from school teachers, to tradesmen, to paramedics. Some of our part time firefighters choose to take advantage of the skills and experience that they gain by pursuing a full-time career in the fire service. Being a part time firefighter is rewarding, exciting and fun.
It is the responsibility of each interested applicant to ensure that his or her application is received by the County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service before the application deadline of 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday August 21, 2019.
To learn more and to apply for this exciting opportunity, download the Part Time Firefighter Information document at www.countygp.ab.ca/firerecruit
To apply, please click on the green "APPLY" button below.
YOU MUST ALSO FILL OUT AND ATTACH THE APPLICATION FORM ALONG WITH YOUR RESUME.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.