Project & Regulatory Technologist
Competition Number: HR-2018-0077
Job Title: Project & Regulatory Technologist
Department: Public Works department
Employment Type: Permanent - Full Time
Salary: $70,364 - $100,208 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package
Posted Date: November 06, 2018 12:00 AM
Closing Date: November 13, 2018 12:30 PM
Last Updated Date: November 14, 2018 8:32 AM
The County of Grande Prairie No. 1, located in northwestern Alberta, is one of the fastest-growing and vibrant economic regions in Canada. This resource-rich area features friendly communities; an array of cultural, recreational, business and educational opportunities; 6,000 square kilometres of vast and dynamic landscape; and an internationally-renowned dinosaur bone-bed and museum. The County of Grande Prairie serves a trade area of over 260,000 people, its diverse economy driven by agriculture, energy, forestry, manufacturing, tourism and commerce. As the first established county in the province, the County of Grande Prairie offers rural appeal and easy access to urban amenities.
The Project & Regulatory Technologist is responsible for providing technical support along a range of environmental and engineering disciplines including site inspections, monitoring engineered systems designed to ensure regulatory compliance, acquiring and maintaining operations approvals, providing interpretation and field expertise for water systems and water management programs, sewer systems, landfills and leachate and providing strategic expertise for construction and operation of these facilities.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Project management of assigned Public Works projects including water/sewer and landfill construction from design through to completion including project scope definition, option analysis, tendering, field supervision of construction tasks, verification of work and quantities, contract administration, and commissioning as required;
- Investigate, assess and provide technical recommendations to Public Works and other County departments;
- Maintain and manage libraries, databases and inventories, for water/wastewater system reports, landfill cell and leachate system construction, annual reports for regulated facilities and operations;
- Provide technical review of engineering studies and drawings as related to municipal infrastructure;
- Provide assistance developing and administering capital programs, budgets and performance measures;
- Provide pre-construction and construction services;
- Work with tendering and contract processes making recommendations of award to Council;
- Provide advice based on sound knowledge of legislation relating to sewer, water and solid waste;
- Prepare and interpret comprehensive technical papers, plans, legal/contract tender documents, statutes, standards and bylaws and provide interpretation/recommendations;
- Physical Labour, equipment operation, extensive travel in the County and working in less than favourable conditions at times;
- Attend training and conferences required to maintain certifications for this position (Water/wastewater level 1, Landfill 2B).
- Technical diploma or a related degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental or Science related studies;
- Professional membership in, or ability to become a member of the Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists (ASET);
- Minimum five years related experience in municipal or industry setting with some focus on water/wastewater/solid waste including a full range of project delivery methods, project management, tendering and contract management;
- Field sampling, report writing/interpretation and legislation experience related to the position;
- A class 5 driver’s license and acceptable drivers abstract;
- Level 2B landfill Certificate and/or Level 1 water/wastewater and/or higher and SCADA systems knowledge is an asset.
To apply, please click on the green "APPLY" button below.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.