100th Anniversary of Canuck School #3873 1918-2018
July 21 - 21, 2018 (2:00pm - 7:00pm)
When? Saturday, July 21, 2018
The Centennial Celebration commemorating 100 Years for Canuck School will be held at the school. Festivities begin at-2:00 pm followed at 3:00 pm by a short program presented by the Bear Lake Canuck Historical Society. At 5:00 pm a reception for alumni and friends will be held at the nearby Bear Lake Bible Camp. *
Where? Canuck School,Bear Lake Park
The school is located at Pitman’s Point, Bear Lake Park- 20 km NW of Grande Prairie,
What to expect at the Centenary Gala Event
- 100 Year Commemoration Ceremony;
- Tour of the school in its restored condition at pristine Bear Lake Park; displays, books, photographs and other memorabilia.
- A look back in history with Canuck teachers, alumni, their families, friends and neighbors; Members of the Bear Lake Canuck Historical Society; Alumni and families of neighboring one-room schools: Scenic Heights, MacHenry, Currie, and Bighorn. Special guests and dignitaries from the larger community
- Horse-drawn wagon ride around Bear Lake Park
What are we celebrating? The Story of Canuck School
Canuck is one of a few one-room schools in Alberta restored to its former pristine glory. Between1918-1955 it housed more than 170 eager rural students who were taught by 24 gifted instructors. It was closed when Alberta schools were centralized in the mid-fifties, then used as a granary and eventually abandoned. In 1980, a group of enthusiastic alumni visited the decrepit old building and vowed to reclaim it. They could not have foreseen that it would take a quarter of a century, in excess of $25,000 in donations and grants, and many hours of volunteer labor to move and restore the school as a centre of historical significance. It has now been refurbished inside and out. The classroom showcases a treasure trove of books, photographs, archival documents, drawings, maps and more.
In 2014 the Canuck alumni published a 200 page book called The Canuck Classic to tell their story. A few copies are for sale at $ 20.00.
The school is being made available to school groups and other visitors. Each summer the Canuck alumni, their families and friends gather at the school for a reunion.
- For further information regarding the dinner please emailSharon Annis: email@example.com