Accessory buildings are buildings that are accessory to the main use of the parcel and include detached garages, sheds, shops, coveralls, sea cans.

Permit Requirements

Structures less than 10m2 (approximately 108 square feet) do not require permits.

Structures larger than 10m2 (approximately 108 square feet), whether it is on a permanent or temporary foundation, require the following:

  • Development Permit
  • Building Permit
  • Other permits as may be required depending on the project

Note: Unmodified sea cans only require a Development Permit. If you are changing the structure (e.g. adding a roof or door), you will also need a Building Permit.

Engineered Plans

All coverall structures need engineered stamped plans. As well, all non-residential structures require engineering. Please contact Planning if you have any questions.

Accessory Building Process

Step 1: Determine what you want to build and verify that the use is listed in your zoning district

Remember accessory buildings are accessory to the main use of the parcel: if you are in a residential district, a residence is required prior to a shop.

You will need to know the size of the building and have elevations of it, the front, rear, and side views of what your building will look like, prior to development application.

Step 2: Get a plot plan

You will need a plot plan showing the proposed location and size of the accessory building, the distance from the property lines and other structures (proposed or existing) on the parcel. Contact the Planning Department to confirm if a professional plot plan is required.

Step 3: Apply for the Development Permit

A Development Permit Application can be completed online. The plot plan, the building elevations, and the application fee will need to be submitted as part of this process.

Upon review of an application, further information may be requested prior to the application being processed.

Step 4: Apply for a Building Permit

If the Development Permit has been approved, an application for Building Permit can be processed. You will need to complete the Residential Building Permit Application or Non-Residential Building Permit Application depending on the use of the building. The completed application will include submission of the blueprints, a copy of the plot plan, and the application fee.

If the building is for non-residential use, Schedules A and B need to be submitted with the application.

If the building is a conventional four-sided garage type structure under 55m2 on a residential parcel, the Detached Garages and Accessory Buildings Information Supplement can be filled out in lieu of blueprints.

Please note: Slab foundations over 592 square feet and all pile and grade beam foundations require engineering.

Step 5: Apply for Plumbing, Gas, Electrical, and Private Sewage Permits

These sub-trade permit applications can be made at the same time or following the issuance of the Building Permit they do need to be made prior to starting any of the associated work. Only the applicable applications need to be made. For example, if you are not installing a gas heater, you do not need to apply for a Gas Permit.