Examples of Fuel Sales and Supply Businesses include:

Bottled Gas, Sales and Storage
A facility where butane and/or propane gas is stored in pressurized portable tanks. May be allowed in RM-2 and RM-3 districts.  
Bulk Fuel and Chemical Storage
Development where refined or crude oil, fuel, or liquid or solid chemical is stored, and includes the storage of dangerous/hazardous substances, as defined by the Dangerous Goods Transportation. May be allowed in GC, RM, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-DC districts
Gas Bar
A retail outlet that is limited to the sale of gasoline and related automotive products, and may includes a "Convenience Food Store". May be allowed in CC, GC, GWC, RM, RM-2, and RM-4 districts
Propane Transfer Facility 
A facility at a fixed location having not more than one storage container and such container shall not have an aggregate propane storage capacity in excess of 50,000 litres (10,994 gallons) and from which no retail sale of propane fuel to the public si or may be affected. May be allowed in the RM-3 district

For a full list and definitions of Fuel Sales and Supply businesses, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.

Zoning and Required Approvals


Each land use is required to be in an appropriate land use district as listed above.

To determine the land use district of a property, refer to our Map. If your use is not listed on the land use district of a property, you may need to apply to rezone the property.


Municipal Approvals

Development Permits are required for any new or expanding Fuel Sales and Supply uses, including new buildings, additions to existing buildings, and a change in use or intensification of the use of the land or building.

Building Permit is required for the construction of a building, including renovations, additions, or a change in occupancy. 

Applications can be made online using our Gateway portal.

Provincial Approvals

Certain developments may require provincial approvals or licensing in addition to your municipal permits. Examples where Provincial approvals may be required include:

  • If a development is within 800 m of the centerline of a highway;
  • If a development will impact a water body or if it diverts and uses surface or groundwater;
  • If a development involves the handling of food for consumption, liquor, or cannabis.


Fees for municipal approvals are charged in accordance with our Schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges. 

For further information, please contact Planning and Development Services.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various municipal, provincial, and federal bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.