When it comes to land use and development, there are many technical terms, acronyms, and abbreviations  you will encounter. The following is a list of frequently used terminology to help you navigate your way through your next land use or development project.

Alberta Transportation (AT)
The Provincial Ministry which has authority and control over all highways within Alberta and authority over subdivision and development within one mile distance from any provincial highway throughout the County.
Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP)
A statutory document adopted by Council that sets out future subdivision, roads, servicing, and land use locations within a specific area which has already been developed.
Area Structure Plan (ASP)
A statutory document adopted by Council that sets out the future subdivision layout, roads, servicing and land use locations within a specific area.
Building Permit
A document issued by the County, in accordance with the Safety Codes Act, which authorizes construction of a building or structure in a manner that meets the standards set out by the Building Code. This is not a Development Permit. 
Cash in Lieu of Land
Payment of funds equivalent to the value of the land that would be required to be dedicated as Municipal Reserve in place of providing land for the purpose of providing public parks, recreation areas, or schools. 
A document registered on title of a property that serves to notify the landowner of specific third party interests in the land. 
Certificate of Compliance
A declaration in the form of a stamp on a Real Property Report issued by the County confirming that the buildings and structures on a property comply with the Land Use Bylaw.
Construction Standards
Documents that provide guidelines to ensure that all infrastructure in the County is constructed to a consistent standard.
Cost Recovery
The recouping of costs for over sized infrastructure from future developers that benefit from the excess capacity of the service.
Design Standards
Documents that provide guiding principles for a new subdivision or an existing area to be redeveloped. The guidelines may describe how streets, parks, buildings, and landscaping should be designed to contribute to the appearance of the neighbourhood.
An individual or entity who improves raw land through the development, subdivision, zoning, or construction processes. Through these processes, Developers acquire or own property and oversee construction of residential, commercial and industrial land uses and structures. 
Development Agreement
A legal contract between the County and a Developer outlining the obligations and provisions for the construction of infrastructure such as roads, water, storm and sanitary sewer to support the development of land.
Development Officer (DO)
A person appointed by County Council to undertake the land use and development duties for the County and in accordance with Land Use Bylaw.
Development Permit (DP)
A document issued by the County which approves the use of a property or parcel of land for a specific purpose allowed for in the Land Use Bylaw. This is not a Building Permit.
Discretionary Use
The use of land or buildings that may be approved by the Development Authority after consideration is given to the potential impact of the use upon surrounding land and buildings.
Endeavor to Assist (Endeavor)
An agreement between the County and a developer where by the County assists the Developer with the cost recovery of installing infrastructure with excess capacity.
Environmental Reserve (ER)
Land consisting of a swamp, gully, ravine, coulee, natural drainage course, or that is subject to flooding or considered to be unstable that is dedicated through the subdivision process to be public land to ensure it remains in its natural state.
Environmental Reserve Easement (ERE)
An easement that is registered on the title of a parcel in favour of the County for the purpose of the protection and enhancement of the environment. The landowner still retains ownership of the easement, but the uses of the land covered by the easement are restricted.
Intermunicipal Development Plan (IDP)
A statutory document that is adopted by two or more neighbouring municipalities which covers areas where the two communities boarder. These plans will include future land use and development locations, future road network plans, coordination of intermunicipal programs, environmental matters, and anything related to social and economic development that the two communities agree upon.
Intermunicipal Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (ISDAB)
The board established to hear appeals on decisions made by the Subdivision and/or Development Authority, including subdivision decisions, development decisions, and the issuance of stop orders.
Land Use Bylaw (LUB)
The main bylaw that regulates the use and development of all land and buildings within the County. It sets out the various zoning districts, the uses acceptable under each district, and the method for making decisions on development permit applications.
Legal Non-Conforming
A use of a land or a structure which was legally established in accordance with the Land Use Bylaw to the time the use or construction was initiated, but which no longer meets the requirements of the current Land Use Bylaw.
Model Process
A system of assessing a proposed subdivision or proposed development site for the suitability and viability of private on-site sewage treatment systems.
Municipal Development Plan (MDP)
A Statutory Document adopted by Council that acts as the overall development plan for the entire County. 
Municipal Planning Commission (MPC)
A board established by County Council to act as the Subdivision and Development Authorities for all matters assigned to it within the Land Use Bylaw or referred to it by Administration. 
Municipal Reserve (MR)
Land (up to 10%) required at time of subdivision to be dedicated to the County to be used for public park space, open space, or schools.
No Build Zone
A document registered on the title of a property by the County as a Restrictive Covenant that outlines areas on the property that are not suitable for building and may be subject to seasonal or periodic flooding.
Offsite Levy
Are charges that developers pay to the County to assist with the capital cost of infrastructure outside the site of a development or subdivision, including roads and new or expanded water, sanitary and storm sewer, that will directly or indirectly serve the proposed development. Other infrastructure that can be included in an off-site levy bylaw include utilities pipes, recreation centres, libraries, fire halls, and police stations. 
Outline Plan (OP)
A document that sets out a very detailed subdivision layout, road plan, and servicing plan for a specific area of the County. These documents are sometimes prepared after and Area Structure Plan to provide additional details.
Pan Handle
An irregular shaped parcel of land that has a very limited amount of road frontage used to access the parcel, with the majority of the parcel having no frontage.
Permitted Use
The use of land or buildings which are listed as a permitted use in the land use district where the land or building is located.
Private Sewage Standard of Practice
The design, installation, and material requirements for the various types of Private Sewage Treatment Systems.
Private Sewage Treatment System
An on-site system of sewage treatment. Often referred to as a septic system, Private Sewage Treatment Systems are the predominate method of managing and treating sewage in rural municipalities.
Professional Plot Plan
A professionally drawn and scaled plan showing the uses, buildings or structures existing or proposed on a parcel and details such as parking areas, landscaped areas, yard setbacks for existing or proposed buildings/structures, easements and drainage contours.
Quality Management Plan (QMP)
A document outlining the minimum service standards for the provision of Safety Codes within the jurisdiction of an accredited municipality.
Real Property Report (RPR)
A legal document that is prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor identifying a property's boundaries and all buildings and structures located on the property. Real Property Reports are often submitted to the County when a parcel is sold to request a Certificate of Compliance.
Restrictive Covenant
A document registered on the title of a property that limits the landowners rights or use of the land to the benefit of another.
The process of amending the Land Use Bylaw to allow for the development or use of a parcel of land that is not currently allowed for in the land use district that is presently assigned to the parcel.
Roadside Development Permit
A document issued by Alberta Transportation which authorizes development within one mile of a provincial highway.
Road Widening
A method of securing land during the subdivision process for the purpose of future road expansion and upgrades or intersection improvements to ensure that sufficient land is available for construction of County infrastructure.
Safety Codes Officer (SCO)
An individual appointed by the Province of Alberta to carryout the duties of a Safety Codes Officer (including performing inspections and plans examinations) and administer the requirements of the Safety Codes Act, Permit Regulations, and Building, Plumbing, Gas, Private Sewage, and Fire Codes.
Safety Codes Permits
Permits issued under the Safety Codes Act, authorizing construction to proceed in accordance with the relevant code or standard in the fields of Building, Plumbing, Gas, Private Sewage, and Fire.
Service Connection
Any utility facility installed overhead or underground between a distribution main, pipelines, or other sources of supply and the premises of the individual customer.
Servicing Report
A technical document that provides detailed analysis and design of water, sanitary sewer, and storm water sewer required to service a specific area of the County. These documents are typically prepared after an Area Structure Plan and can be required before a subdivision is approved. 
Site Plan
A drawing of a property showing the uses, buildings or structures existing or proposed on a parcel and details such as yard setbacks. Also see Professional Plot Plan.
Shadow Plan
A plan that shows all tentative future phases of a subdivision of land.
Statutory Plan
A document adopted as a bylaw by a municipal council in accordance with the Municipal Government Act. Examples of land use and development related statutory plans include the Municipal Development Plan, Intermunicipal Development Plan, Area Structure Plans, and Area Redevelopment Plans.
Stub Road
A small section of road constructed as part of a subdivision approval. These are typically 60m in length and incorporate between 1 and 3 approaches into private property.
The process of dividing one parcel of land into two or more smaller parcels with separate land titles, to create new parcels that are consistent with the development goals of the County.
Traffic Impact Assessment (TIA) 
A technical document prepared by a qualified engineer that analyzes and outlines road intersections and future upgrades that may be required. 
Transportation Levy Bylaw
The County's off-site levy bylaw covering new or expanded roads.
Transportation Master Plan (TMP)
A document that guides the long-term transportation planning framework for the County to support land uses and future development patterns. 
Regulated by the Land Use Bylaw, a set of categories outlining the regulations and uses allowed in designated areas throughout the County.