Road Ban Status                                                        

Gravel roads have remain at 100 per cent axle weight loading, 24 hours a day, unless otherwise posted.

As of July 4, 2024 at 10:00 a.m. a temporary weight restriction will be in place as follow:

  1. 75% axle weight loading on Township Road 711
  2. 75% axle weight loading on Range Road 71 from Township Road 710 to 712

For daily updated road ban information 24/7

Year-Round Restrictions

Access the Permanent Road Bans & Truck Routes map

What is a road ban?

Road bans are weight restrictions that reduce the maximum weight allowed on any carrying axle of a truck or trailer by a specified percentage.

Road bans reduce damage to County roads during spring break-up when moisture-filled pavement and soils could be damaged by heavy vehicles. Road bans minimize the amount of repair and repaving needed to maintain quality roads. The bans apply to heavy traffic, not regular passenger vehicles.

Unless otherwise posted, 100 percent axle weight loading is allowed on all gravel roads 24 hours-a-day. During road ban season, however, this may be reduced to 75 or 50 percent, depending on conditions.

Because road bans depend on weather conditions, they can vary from year-to-year. Road bans are announced in News and Notices, through County social media channels and local radio.

For daily updated road ban information 24/7, call 780-513-3964. 

What changes have been made to the road permitting process?

The road permitting process is now being facilitated by Roadata to streamline the process as opposed to being managed by the County of Grande Prairie

 Who needs a road permit?

Anyone who wishes to operate overweight vehicles on restricted or banned County roads requires a permit.


 What type of permit do I need?

Annual Agricultural Exemption Permit:

  • Issued for hauling approved Agricultural Commodities.
  • Valid until the end of the calendar year.
  • No fee


Overweight Permit

  • Issued for hauling anything not on the approved Agricultural Commodities list.
  • Subject to approval and may be denied.
  • Valid for the period of time approved.
  • $35 fee
 What are the approved agriculture commodities? 

Find the updated list at: Road Bans - County of Grande Prairie No.1 (


The list includes items such as:

  • Cereals/Legumes/Grasses/Oilseeds/Forage
  • Livestock
  • Fertilizer
  • Agricultural Chemical


Click here for the full list.

 What information do I need to provide when requesting a road permit?

When calling Roadata at 1-888-444-9288 or emailing, you will need to provide the following information:


  • First and last name of caller.
  • Name the vehicles are registered in.
  • Address on the registration.
  • Plate number of vehicles that require a permit.
  • Phone number (preferably one that can accept text messages.)
  • Email preferably (or fax number if no email is available.)
 How can I find out more information? 

Discover the new process at: Road Bans - County of Grande Prairie No.1 (



Contact the Transportation and Utilities department:

Phone: 780-532-7393