Planning for the weather is a key part of hosting an outdoor event. If you are considering a temporary building such as an event tent, be sure the tent complies with the County's bylaws and Provincial building code.

Do I need a permit for a temporary event tent?

Yes, a building permit is required when:

  • The tent or group of tents covers more than 60 square metres (645 square feet).
  • The tent is located less than 3 metres from any other structure, and/or
  • The tent is used commercially or contains commercial cooking equipment.

If any of these factors apply to your project, a building permit will be required to ensure construction meets the Alberta Building Code.

Do I need to have the tent inspected?

Yes, once your tent is erected you will need to get it inspected, even it if was put up by a professional tent rental company.

The Planning Department requests two days' notice for scheduling of inspections. Same day service may be available depending on the Safety Codes Officer's schedule. Inspections can be requested online using the Permit portal or contacting Planning and Development Services at 780-513-3950.