Examples of Warehousing, Storage, and Distribution Businesses include:

Aggregate Storage Area
The use of land for the temporary storage of aggregates for sale or use in the production of cement or asphalt. May be allowed in the EX district. 
Agricultural Supply Depot 
A facility that specializes in the bulk storage of agricultural products and farm supplies but does not include the sale or storage of solid and liquid fertilizers. May be allowed in RM-2 and RM-3 districts.
Automobile, Truck, and Recreation Vehicle Storage 
An outdoor storage area used specifically for seasonal or temporary storage of cars, trucks, and recreation vehicles. May be allowed in RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts.
Bulk Fuel and Chemical Storage
Development where refined or crude oil, fuel, or liquid or solid chemical is stored, and includes the storage of dangerous/hazardous substances, as defined by the Dangerous Goods Transportation and Handling Act. May be allowed in GC, RM, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-DC districts. 
Bulk Sales Establishment 
The use of land, structure, or building for the purposes of buying and selling lumber, wood, building materials, feed, seed, grain bins, fertilizer, beverages, ice, and allied commodities but does not include any manufacturing, assembling or processing. May be allowed in RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts.  
Commercial Fertilizer Supply 
A facility that specializes in the bulk storage and sale of solid and liquid fertilizers and includes other agricultural chemicals. May be allowed in RM-2 and RM-3 districts.
Explosive Storage and Distribution 
A development or use designed for the storage and/or distribution of “EXPLOSIVES” as defined in the federal government’s Explosives Act. May be allowed in AG and RM-3 districts.
Oilfield Support Services
A development that provides cleaning, servicing, repairing or testing of materials, goods and equipment normally associated with the oil and gas industry. This may include the storage or shipping of such materials, goods and equipment, including petrochemical products and supplies, provided such storage does not exceed 5,000 m3 for all organic or inorganic chemicals and 10,000 m3 for all petroleum products. Such storage shall be in accordance with all applicable provincial and federal statutes. This definition applies to oil and gas industry support operations and includes, but is not limited to, seismic surveying, well servicing, oilfield haulers, pipeline contractors and welding operations. May be allowed in RM-1, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-4 districts. 
Storage, Indoor
A self-contained building or group of buildings available for the storage of goods. This use includes “mini-storage” or private storage facilities. May be allowed in CM, RM, RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts. 
Storage, Outdoor 
A site or a portion of a site designed for the storage of goods, materials and/or equipment, or the display and sale of goods and materials, including vehicles for hire or sale, located outside permanent buildings or structures on the site. May be allowed in BA-DC, CM, EX, RM, RM-1, RM-2, RM-3, RM-4, and RM-DC districts. 
Transport/Truck Operation
A development involving the storing, parking, servicing and dispatching of trucks. This use may also involve the transfer of goods primarily involving loading and unloading of freight-carrying trucks. May be allowed in CM, RM-1, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-4 districts.
A building or portion thereof used primarily for storage of goods and materials. It is larger in scale than “mini-storage”, private storage facilities, and “indoor storage”. May be allowed in CC, RM-1, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-4 districts.  
Warehouse Store
A building or portion thereof for the wholesale or retail sale of goods. May be allowed in CBMJ, CC, and RM-4 districts. 

For a full list and definitions of Warehousing, Storage and Distribution businesses, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.

Zoning and Required Approvals


Each land use is required to be in an appropriate land use district as listed above.

To determine the land use district of a property, refer to our Map. If your use is not listed on the land use district of a property, you may need to apply to rezone the property.


Municipal Approvals

Development Permits are required for any new or expanding Warehousing, Storage and Distribution uses, including new buildings, additions to existing buildings, and a change in use or intensification of the use of the land or building.

Building Permit is required for the construction of a building, including renovations, additions, or a change in occupancy. 

Applications can be made online using our Gateway portal.

Provincial Approvals

Certain developments may require provincial approvals or licensing in addition to your municipal permits. Examples where Provincial approvals may be required include:

  • If a development is within 800 m of the centerline of a highway;
  • If a development will impact a water body or if it diverts and uses surface or groundwater;
  • If a development involves the handling of food for consumption, liquor, or cannabis.


Fees for municipal approvals are charged in accordance with our Schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges.

For further information, please contact Planning and Development Services.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various municipal, provincial, and federal bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.