We are happy to welcome Hythe residents to the County of Grande Prairie, effective July 1, 2021! We are working diligently to ensure the transition for you is as smooth as possible, and all services continue to be delivered effectively.

Latest updates 

June 10, 2021  

The Government of Alberta has officially approved the dissolution of the Village of Hythe through an Order in Council. Hythe will officially become a hamlet within the County of Grande Prairie on July 1, 2021. Until that date, we are working hard behind the scenes to ensure a smooth transition.   

Read the media release for more details.  

 Previous Updates

March 31, 2021 

Residents of the Village of Hythe have voted to dissolve into a hamlet within the County of Grande Prairie. The next step is that the Minister of Municipal Affairs, if they choose, will issue a ministerial order to proceed with dissolution. In the meantime, we are working hard behind the scenes to ensure a smooth transition.

Learn more about what the transition will look like by reading the Alberta Municipal Affairs completed its Viability Review Report for the Village of Hythe.

Need assistance? 

The office in Hythe remains your first point of contact for all service needs until the date of dissolutionAs of July 1, 2021, all municipal services will transition to the County of Grande Prairie. 

Receive Updates

As the transition progresses, we will keep you updated on how and where you are able to access the services you need. Be sure to subscribe to this webpage by clicking the subscribe button on the right to stay updated on new information as it becomes available. 

Welcome to Division 7 

The County of Grande Prairie is made up of nine electoral divisions, each represented by an elected CouncillorOnce the transition is official through the ministerial order, Hythe will fall within Division 7, which is represented by Councillor Linda Waddy. Meet County Councilview our electoral division map, review Council Meeting schedules, agendas, minutes and more 

Background Information

Alberta Municipal Affairs completed its Viability Review Report for the Village of Hythe and set dates for a Public Information Session as well as a vote on the two options presented in the report. 

The Village of Hythe Council requested the review when it passed a motion Wednesday, April 22, 2020 to Request a Viability Review in response to financial challenges faced by the Village

In May 2020 the Minister of Municipal affairs initiated a review in response to the request.  

Frequently Asked Questions 

Have questions about the Hythe transition? View our frequently asked questions. These questions will be updated as we receive more information. 

How do I stay up to date on the Hythe transition?
Updates will be posted to this page as more information is available. Be sure to subscribe to this webpage by clicking the subscribe button on the right to stay updated on new information as it becomes available.  
How do I stay up to date about life in the County?
You can stay updated many different ways including: 


County Connections  

  • Print Version: All residents who have a Hythe mailing address already receive a copy of County Connections, a newsletter about programs, services, initiatives and events happening in the community that is circulated three times a year to all County residents. Keep your eyes peeled for upcoming editions. If you do not receive one and would like to be added to our mailing list, contact us at 780-532-9722 or communications@countygp.ab.ca. 
  • E-newsletter: Subscribe to our free e-newsletter, delivered to your inbox three times a year. Stay in the know about programs, services, initiatives and events happening in the community. 

News & Notices 

Read the latest County of Grande Prairie news, including programs, projects and traffic updates. 


Connect with Us on Social Media 

Where does the County provide services?

The County provides services from our Administration Building, Community Services Building and Public Works Buildings in the hamlet of Clairmont, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. 

The County of Grande Prairie will be responsible for providing services to Village residents following the dissolution date. Stay tuned for more information regarding how and where these services will be provided.

Many services and information about our programs and services are available online on our website. 

Who will I pay property taxes to?

For the 2021 tax year, you will continue to pay your taxes to the Village. The Village has set a deadline of July 31, 2021 to pay taxes for 2021.  

Property taxes owed to the Village at the time of dissolution will be owed to the County. Going into 2022, property taxes will be payable to the County. 

Will I continue to receive curbside waste & recycling collection services? 
Hythe residents will continue to receive curbside waste and recycling pickup services until further notice. Learn more on our Recycling and Waste Management page. 
What other recycling and waste service are available to me?
As a resident of the County, you will have access to all County recycling and waste management facilities. View our Recycling and Waste Management page for information about our transfer stations, recycling bins locationsand other recycling and waste management programs and facilities available.
Who will be responsible for utility services?
The County will continue to provide the same services as currently in place until full assessment of Hythe’s water and waste systems and operations can be completed. The County will also assess how the utility fees are established with intent to align these with the County’s rates and fees
Will monthly utility rates change?
Utility rates will remain at the current level in Hythe until the County completes a review of the operational costs, revenues and expenses associates with utility systems in the hamlet. Thereafter, utility users can expect utility rates to change.
What animal pound, shelter and adoptions services are available?
Hythe residents will have access to the Grande Prairie Regional Animal Care FacilityThe Regional Animal Care Facility provides support and services for animals who may not have an identified owner, require health or behavioural assistance or are found astray and need a home.
Do I need a dog license?
The current dog licensing rules described in Village Bylaw 526 will apply until County Council rescinds this Bylaw. If your dog is over the age of six months and resides in the County, you are required toregister for a dog licence.
What libraries do I have access to?
As a County resident, you will have free access to several libraries. Visit our library page for more information.
Are there any bylaws and policies specific to the County that I need to be aware of?
Existing Village bylaws will remain in force for Hythe until the County repeals or replaces them with a County bylaw pursuant to the Municipal Government Act Section 135. There are various regulatory bylaws in the Village of Hythe that may not be enforceable in current form or do not align with the County’s bylaws including Village bylaws that address cannabis consumption, burning and fire pits, snow removal, false alarms, and community standards. The County will review all Hythe bylaws, incorporate what is appropriate into the County bylaws, and repeal other Hythe bylaws to ensure consistency for all County hamlets. 
 Will there be any changes to bylaw enforcement and safety code services?
Bylaw enforcement and safety code services will continue to be managed by the County.
Will the Hythe staff become part of the County workforce?
As noted in the Order in Council, employees of the Village at its dissolution are deemed to be employees of the County. 
Where do I find more information about required applications, licenses and permits?
View our Applications, Licenses and Permits page for more information.
What Family and Community Support Services are available to me?
You will receive similar programing through the County Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) as is available to County residents. View our Family and Community Support page for information on programs offered.
Where do I go to apply for a fire permit?
You can apply for a fire permits by visiting our Fire Permits page. If you wish to have an outdoor fire in the County including in Hythe, a fire permit is required.
Am I permitted to use fireworks in Hythe?
Village Bylaw 197 currently prohibits the discharge of fireworks within the Village of Hythe. This will remain in place until either repealed or replaced by County Bylaw.
Where do I receive more information about road maintenance?
Visit our Roads page for more information on road maintenance.
Where do I receive more about parks, campgrounds, playgrounds and recreation programs in the County? 
To find more information, visit our Campgrounds, Parks and Playgrounds page. Programming information is available on our Recreation Events and Programs page.
Where and when are Council meetings held?

The County’s regular Council meetings are held twice per month on Mondays, starting at 10:00 a.m.

The County’s Committee of the Whole meets monthly on the last Thursday of the month, starting at 10:00 a.m.

The Council’s meeting schedule for the upcoming year is reviewed and approved by Council at its annual organizational meeting. All Council and Council committee meetings must adhere to the County Procedural Bylaw No. 3119. 

During the COVID-19 pandemic, most Council meetings have been held virtually with some held in-person. When provincial public health restrictions are not in place, they are held in Council Chambers in the Administration Building located at 10001 84 Avenue in Clairmont.  

Where do I make a request for the Reeve and Council?
Requests including making presentations to Council, inviting the Reeve or Council members to an upcoming event, and requests for sponsorship, letters of support and grant funding can be made on our Requests for the Reeve and Council page.
Where can I find more information about the upcoming municipal election?
Information about the municipal election in the County is available on the Elections page.
I am a resident in Hythe. Can I run for Council in the upcoming 2021 municipal election?
Yes, Hythe residentare eligible to run for County Councillor of Division 7 in the upcoming municipal election. Read more on our Elections page.
Where can I find County web maps?
View Public Web Maps. Our web map performs a variety of functions ranging from printing maps, viewing aerial photos and finding property information to obtaining driving directions for multiple residential and business locations throughout the County.