The Government of Alberta introduced a single system of assessment complaints for the entire province in January 2010. This change was the result of amendments to the Municipal Government Act and Matters Relating to Assessment Complaints Regulation

 Assessment Review Board
 Assessment Review Boards hear complaints on assessments to ensure that assessments are fair and equitable in relation to assessments on other, similar properties in the municipality. The Board then directs any necessary amendments to be made to the assessment roll.

The two types of Review Boards are:

Local Assessment Review Board (LARB) - residential property with three or fewer dwelling units, farmland, or non-assessment matters, such as local improvement taxes and business tax. The Local Assessment Review Board (LARB) is composed of trained local members that are appointed by Council.

A Composite Assessment Review Board (CARB) has been created to hear all other matters. The Composite Assessment Review Board (CARB) is composed of two trained local members and one provincially approved member who will be the presiding officer.

 Disagree With Your Assessment?
 If you believe your assessment is unfair or contains an error, you are encouraged to contact one of your local assessors at 780-513-3952 before filing your complaint. Assessors may be able to adjust your assessment based upon additional information.

If you and your assessor cannot come to a reasonable agreement the next step is filing a Complaint/Appeal to the Clerk of the Assessment Review Board, using the forms set out by Municipal Affairs.

The forms and information needed to place a complaint can be obtained in person at the County of Grande Prairie Administration Building or online from Municipal Affairs.

Due Dates

There is now a 67-day period between the mailing of your assessment notice and the date complaints are due.

Any fees associated with appeals can be found on the back of your Assessment & Tax Notice as well as the Rates and Fees Schedule.