The Government of Alberta declared a state of public health emergency and implemented new health measures on September 15, 2021. 

The County of Grande Prairie is following the direction of Alberta Health, the authority on COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) for municipalities, and has in place the new provincewide measures. 

What the County is Doing

Effective September 16,  

  • Community members are encouraged to access County services online or by phone by calling 780-532-9722. 

  • County Council Meetings will be available to the public via live stream. Find details to connect to each meeting's live stream on the Events Calendar

  • In-Person Visitors:
    • All visitors and employees are required to wear masks inside County facilities for their protection and the protection of others.
    • Signs will be placed at the entrance to County facilities and disposable face coverings and hand sanitizer will be available.
    • Read Visiting County Facilities for details on all health and safety guidelines in place.  
  • Mandatory work-from-home measures are in place for staff unless a physical presence is required for operational effectiveness. 

Facility Updates

Open with restrictions

County offices remain open.  

  • Community members are encouraged to access County services online or by phone by calling 780-532-9722.  

  • Council meetings available to public via live stream. Find details to connect to each meeting's live stream on the Events Calendar 

The Elmworth, Hythe, La Glace and Valhalla community libraries are open at reduced capacity. Stay up-to-date with community libraries on their websites.  

The Crosslink County Sportsplex, visit their website for details 


County Regional Fire Service facilities (Clairmont, Dunes, Bezanson, Hythe, La Glace, and Teepee Creek fire stations) remain closed to the public.

Visiting County Facilities

The following guidelines will be in place when visiting County facilities:

  • Masks are mandatory in all indoor public spaces
  • Do not enter the building if you have travelled outside of Canada within 14 days or are experiencing flu-like symptoms
  • Use the hand sanitizer provided upon entering and exiting the building
  • Maintain 2 m / 6 ft physical distance from others

Enhanced cleaning remains in place. 

Programs & Services

Permit applications

Planning and Development Services is open for in-person consultations and continue to be available via virtual appointments or telephone. Contact Planning and Development Services by email or call 780-513-3950. 

Safety Code Inspections

Inspectors will continue to wear face coverings in some settings. Other safety measures, such as physical distancing, will remain in place in some settings. Contact Planning and Development Services by email or call 780-513-3950. 

Family and Community Support Services

Home Support Services staff will continue to use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and extra safety measures are in place to ensure the safety of staff and clients. County residents can schedule a Home Support Services assessment by contacting FCSS at 780-532-9727 or by email to Dale Bond, Home Support Coordinator.

Annual Inspections

Assessors will continue to do Annual Inspections and will wear masks in all settings. Other safety measures will be in place, such as physical distancing. All Assessors have identification badges and drive marked County of Grande Prairie vehicles. Contact Assessment Services by email or call 780-513-3952.   

Restrictions Exemption Program (REP) and Taxation - Frequently Asked Questions

The Government of Alberta implemented provincewide restrictions in an effort to reduce the impact of the pandemic. 

What is the Restrictions Exemption Program (REP)?
The Restrictions Exemption Program exempts business from the majority of Provincial COVID-19 related restrictions as long as patrons aged 12 and older provide proof of vaccination, medical exemption or a negative rapid test result.

Exceptions to the REP include: volunteers (e.g., coaches, team helpers) and other individuals attending for purposes other than as a patron or attendee (e.g., support staff, delivery/repair workers, contractors, etc.), and youth aged 12-17 participating in activities will not be required to show proof of vaccination, medical exemption or negative COVID-19 rapid test results.

How do I get my proof of vaccination?

Albertans 12 and over can access proof of vaccination online through

If you were vaccinated recently, it may take up to two weeks for your records to be available online.

  • Participating Registry Agents can also print out vaccine cards from at no cost.
  • MyHealth Records is still available for Albertans 14 and over who wish to use a verified account to view their health records, including lab tests and medications.

*This information is from the Government of Alberta COVID-19 website. Please visit their website for the most up to date information.

I’m not vaccinated. Do the new restrictions mean that I can't access any recreation facilities?
If you are unable to or unwilling to get the vaccine, you can still access facilities that have enacted the Restrictions Exemption Program (REP) by providing a negative test taken in the last 72 hours or a medical exemption.
Are masks still required?

As mandated by the Government of Alberta, starting again on September 4. 2021, masks are mandatory in all indoor public spaces. Therefore, all visitors are required to wear a mask in County facilities.

Effective September 20, anyone unable to wear a mask will be required to provide a medical exemption letter from an authorized health professional. More information about mask exemptions is available at

*This information is from the Government of Alberta COVID-19 website. Please visit their website for the most up to date information.

What are local recreation facilities requiring for access?
As the provincial guidelines are being implemented in various ways, it is best to contact the specific facilities to understand their access requirements. 
I paid for a class at a recreation centre that I can't attend as I am unvaccinated. How can I get a refund?

Any resident who has paid for a membership, rental or other user fee at a facility and wants to inquire about a refund should contact the specific facility for details. 

What are user fees?

User fees are fees paid for individual use and benefit of certain goods and services. At the County of Grande Prairie, examples of user fees include, but are not limited to, tax certifications, garbage collection, utility fees and development and planning applications.

What are property taxes used for?

Property taxes are used to pay for municipal services available to all residents. In Alberta, there are three parts to your property taxes.

The first is the municipal portion used for road maintenance, emergency services, outdoor amenities, social programming and many other municipal services.

The other two sections, provincial education and seniors lodging, include money collected by the County on behalf of the Government of Alberta. The County does not keep this money nor do we have any say over the amounts in these two sections of your property taxes.

Find more information about how your tax dollar is spent

I am not vaccinated and can’t access public recreation facilities. Will the County be providing a refund in my taxes?

No, there will not be any tax refunds provided. Taxes provide for the overall delivery of services to all residents. Outdoor amenities remain accessible to all residents regardless of vaccination status.

How long will these new restrictions last?

At this point, there is no end date for these restrictions. The County of Grande Prairie is following all public health guidelines set by the Government of Alberta. 

Are County staff required to be vaccinated?

At this time, the County is not considering a vaccination mandate for all staff.