At approximately 6:19 p.m. on Wednesday April 14, the Sexsmith Fire Department and County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service were dispatched to a structure fire on 99 street in Sexsmith. 

On arrival fire crews found a fire involving the rear exterior of the home, a BBQ, and two propane tanks. The fire was quickly brought under control and extinguished. Damage was limited to the rear of one side of the duplex.  

The fire was investigated by the County of Grande Prairie Fire Marshall and it was determined that the fire was the result of a propane leak from the BBQ regulator. 

“Residents are asked to check their BBQ propane connections on a regular basis with soapy water to ensure there are no leaks. In addition to this, always provide adequate clearance from the BBQ to the home in the event something does go wrong,” said Deputy Fire Chief Jason Nesbitt.  

“With this call, damage was limited because of an immediate call to 911 and a very fast response time by the Sexsmith Fire Department and County of Grande Prairie Regional Fire Service.”  

No one was injured as a result of the fire. 

-30- 

Media Contact: 
Jason Nesbitt 
Deputy Fire Chief 
County Regional Fire Service 
780-532-9727